Cutting Back Your Holiday Card Mailing List? What A Golden Opportunity For The Rest Of Us

Expert Author Stephen Q Shannon
For years I have been sending by First Class US mail, hard copy (paper) greeting cards to family, friends, and clients. Now I worry my annual holidays mailing implies recipients should send me a card too. It costs about 50 cents to send one regular size paper greeting card priced 2 to 3 dollars. That's too much to ask.
I have decided to cut my holiday greeting card list by 2/3rds.
Time, tides, and culture change. Even though 1.6 billion greeting cards were expected to be sent in 2012, total US mail volume is way down. Video and e-cards and not mailing cards are becoming more common. Looking at our in-coming holiday mail, I see others are opting out too. I understand.
After years of taking my Father's lead (He sent out 500+ holiday cards every year). I will send fewer paper cards. It's tough for me. My Dad, in the early 1940s, with Mr. Joyce Hall, Hallmark Cards' founder, formed the National Association of Greeting Card Publishers in New York City. It's now the Greeting Card Association, Washington, DC.
You will find far less competition for attention when you use this under-used and classy marketing tool to differentiate you, your "brand", your good name.
End of an era for holiday card mailings, but not the end of mailing personalized communications via USPS. I see it as a golden opportunity to dominate the First Class stamp marketing medium. Former snail-mail has never been better in delivering first class mail safely, accurately, on time, with a smile. Talk to your carrier. She'll confirm what I am saying.
Every chance I get, I will seize the opportunity to send out handwritten notes on best affordable paper stock. Handwritten notes are personalized gifts says "gifted" author, Margaret Shepherd in her mini-book The Art of The Handwritten Note - A Guide To Reclaiming Civilized Communications. Her book rawks.
When you receive paper mail at home or at your workplace, which piece do you open first? My hunch it's the one a) Hand addressed, b) Has real First Class Postage Stamp, and c) The paper stock has a quality feel to it, inspiring you to open it first.
When was the last time you wrote and mailed a hand-written note?
Sure it can be a birthday or get-well greeting. The winner, though, is a personally hand-written note. When you a receive personalized note, a) You won't soon forget it, especially if b) The sender is someone you respect, admire, or love and if c) It arrives at special time in your life.
TIP - Try not to start thank-you notes with the words "Thank You". Everyone does that. Try beginning with the word "you" or "your". "You made it happen, etc".
And now learn a little more about who I am and why am I writing the way I am writing via http://www.linkedin.com/in/steveqshannoncareertrainer/ I personally answer all e-mails.
Previous
Next Post »